Common Electrical Hazards in Households

November 22, 2023
7 Mins Read

Electrical hazards in households are a serious yet underestimated threat to the safety of residents and their property. 

Every Australian homeowner, landlord and tenant should have a thorough understanding of these risks and take necessary precautions to avoid any potential harm. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the most common electrical hazards that can be found in households and how to prevent them.

Faulty Wiring

One of the most significant electrical hazards in any household is faulty wiring. This can occur due to poor installation, wear and tear, or overloading of circuits. If left unaddressed, it can lead to short circuits, electrical fires and even electrocution. Signs of faulty wiring may include flickering lights, burning smells and frequent tripping of circuit breakers.

To prevent this hazard, it is crucial to have your electrical wiring inspected by a licensed residential electrician regularly. They can identify any potential issues and fix them before they become a more significant problem. It is also essential to avoid overloading your electrical circuits and to replace any damaged or frayed cords and wires immediately.

Exposed Wires and Cables

Exposed wires and cables can be caused by loose or missing electrical outlet covers, damaged cords or poorly secured wiring. These pose a severe electrocution risk and should be addressed immediately.

To prevent this hazard, always make sure all your electrical outlets have proper covers and secure any loose wiring. Any damaged or frayed cords should be replaced immediately. It is also important to keep cords and wires away from potential hazards such as water or heat sources.

Damaged Power Points and Switches

Power points and switches are essential components of any electrical system in a household. However, with regular use, they may become worn out, damaged or cracked, leading to a risk of electrocution or electrical fires.

To avoid this hazard, it is essential to have all power points and switches regularly checked by a licensed electrician. Additionally, replace any damaged points or switches immediately.

Water and Electricity Don’t Mix

Water and electricity are a deadly combination. Contact with water can cause electrocution or even serious injury. It is crucial to ensure that all electrical appliances and outlets are kept away from water sources such as sinks, bathtubs or outdoor areas. When using electrical appliances in wet areas, make sure to unplug them after use and dry them thoroughly.

Extension Cords and Power Boards

Extension cords and power boards are a convenient solution for areas with limited power outlets. However, when used unsafely, they can become a major hazard. Overloading power boards and extension cords can cause fires or electrical shocks. It is essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines when using these devices and avoid using them for prolonged periods.

Recognising the Warning Signs

In addition to taking the necessary precautions, educating yourself and your family on recognising the warning signs of electrical hazards is critical. These may include flickering lights, sparks when plugging in or unplugging appliances, buzzing noises, and outlets or switches that are warm to the touch. Promptly addressing these warning signs can prevent potential disasters.

Prevention is always better than cure when it comes to electrical hazards: being aware of potential electrical hazards in households and taking necessary precautions can significantly reduce the risk of electrical accidents. At Elite Electrical, we provide comprehensive electrical services to ensure the safety of your home. Contact us for all your electrical needs, big or small. 

Related posts:


24/7 Emergency Services Provided